City Ludza (Latvia)
Ludza (till 1918 – Lyutsyn) is a town in the east of Latvia, in Latgalia. It is a district centre of Ludza district and a railway station the the Rezekne – Velyki Luky line. Its population is 10 247 people (2004).
Ludza is known since 1173 (one of the oldest towns of Latvia). In 1399 the Livonian order built a castle in the town on the place of former Latgalian castle, making Ludza an eastern outpost of Livonia. Town has Magdeburg rights since 1777.